Public Policy and Public AdministrationGraduates of bachelor's study program Public Policy and Public Administration acquire skills and knowledge to enable them to effectively carry out their tasks in public policy and public administration, departments to manage , collaborate effectively with representatives of other sectors, to implement laws, to actively participate in the public administration reform and its functioning , participate in the preparation of regulations and conceptions in public policy , analyze conceptions , the real effects of policies and sectoral policies .
Graduates of the study program "Public Policy and Public Administration" are ready to apply the theory of public policy and public administration in social practice. They are able to act as professionals in all aspects of public administration and public sector. They are able to perform the tasks, solve problems and make decisions in basic areas at all levels of state and local governments. Graduates will acquire theoretical knowledge of the basic disciplines: political science and sociology, public administration and economics.
The aim is to achieve knowledge of public administration, as well as economic principles and practical approaches to perform the actions in solving problems and making decisions in all the main areas of public policy and public administration. Graduates will acquire the necessary knowledge of the EU in common and public policies.
Graduates of bachelor's degree study program Public Policy and Public Administration:
- know and understand the different opinions on the public sector ,
- know and understand the roles and relationships in the public, private and nonprofit sectors of civil society in EU countries ,
- are able to work together with representatives of other sectors, seek common agreement, and create multi - sectoral teams focused on defining and solving complex problems
- understand public policy as a scientific discipline - the theory, categorical apparatus and methods
- understand public policy as a political process in the socio - economic, cultural and political contexts
- understand different models of public policy and can decide on its application in various social situations
They are able to:
- make a simple individual acts
- organize the preparation and conduct of elections and all kinds of other activities provided by government
- plan and organize activities and processes in the public administration
- implement theoretical knowledge in improving and efficient functioning of public administration
- processed and statistically evaluated of simple analysis by using modern methods of computer technology and control engineering work with mass data
- employ communication skills within the organization in relation staff - citizen.
Graduates of master´s degree study program Public Policy and Public Administration acquire the ability and skills to work in the field of public policy and public administration, to imply, shape, and analyze the basic concepts and principles. Graduates are prepared to systematically examine the process of government policies at the supranational (EU), national or regional level, collect and use various tools to solve the problems of society as well as effectively implement decisions in practice. Graduates are prepared to analyze the impact of policies at regional and local government, to prepare these policies and their implementation concepts within the government. Second degree study provides deepening knowledge concerning the organization and functioning of public administration, administrative processes, techniques, decision-making, policy implementation and use of research methods. Graduates are able to evaluate and analyze the practical effects of public policy and propose solutions to optimize them. At the same time they have the capacity to create and manage teams focused on research and development activities.
Practical skills and abilities (master's degree):
- ability to consider solutions in the field of public policy and public administration
- readiness to implement specific solutions from the macro level to the micro level (state - government)
- determine and decide about priorities for solving various problems, guarantee their complex implementation
- create and manage teams in the field of public policy and public administration
- work in international business and project teams committees and subcommittees EU institutions and the Council of Europe on the territory of Slovakia and in intergovernmental committees and central European institutions
- present and disseminate knowledge of public policy and public administration
Additional knowledge, abilities and skills (master's degree):
- ability of strategic planning and management
- professional ability to make decisions and effectively implement decisions to substantive solutions in different areas of public policy and public administration
Positions for graduates in International Relations
Study programme International Relations is constituted to prepare its graduates for the work in various institutions in the field of international relations, both in the private or public sphere.
A primary aim of the study program International Relations is to form student´s personality so they can learn theoretical, methodological and practical knowledge of political sciences, international relations, diplomacy, world politics and economy, and to be able to apply their knowledge creatively and flexibly in decision-making at the level of local units or international institutions. Moreover, graduates can find positions in the pedagogical process and research, in the analytical activities for public and private sector, in media, political parties and non-governmental organisations. They are also prepared to work in international organisations and institutions of non-political character. Their skills and knowledge allow them to work at the managerial positions in the private companies, etc.
- Acquired knowledge (Bachelor´s degree)
A graduate acquires theoretical knowledge of social disciplines in the field of international relations, he understands basic context of building international relations and the position of states in international relations. They are able to orient themselves in politics effectively, to evaluate and analyse events in the international politics.
A graduate is able to synthetize, analyse and divide theoretical and empirical knowledge in the field of international relations, to compare the basic indicators of international environment
- Additional skills
- work effectively as a member of international teams
- work with international databases
- use at least one world-spread language at professional level
A graduate is able to apply their theoretical knowledge independently and creatively in many practical situations within related professions. Deep knowledge of various aspects of international relations is stressed – esp. political, economic, legal and cultural aspects. Emphasis lays also on the communication skills, including communication within international teams.
- Acquired knowledge (Master´s degree)
- Theoretical knowledge
A graduate learns theoretical and methodological system of knowledge and their application in the praxis. They acquire the knowledge that enables their narrow specialisation in the field of international relations. They are also able to analyse the developments and processes in international politics and policies and execute the comparative analysis of these processes. They are able to analyse the situation of structural development and political developments in particular regions and globally.
A graduate works with statistical and economic data, is able of independent conceptual work in the process of forming international politics, to work in various institutions in the field of international relations. They are also able to work in diplomacy and state bodies.